This time of year, all we see is the cold, grey of winter. It’s easy to fall into a grey mood as we patiently (or not so patiently) wait for spring. Here are 2 easy ideas to help you avoid the doldrums:
Brighten up your outfits. When the temperatures outside fall below freezing, it seems we tend to think that means we should be dressing in dark dull colors. Liven up your dark ensembles with pops of bright colors. Things to look for at your local Goodwill Store include scarves, tank tops, belts or other layering pieces.
Spring clean – a little early. After the holidays, my office is a disaster. Well, if I am being honest, everything in my house feels cluttered and unorganized. We all have that room in our home that seems to accumulate all the “stuff” over the holidays. Take an afternoon and re-organize that space. Focusing on just one room isn’t as overwhelming as thinking about your entire home. Take all the extra things and duplicate items that you find and donate them to Goodwill. Keep the other rooms of your home free from clutter by not re-storing things you don’t use over the holidays.
The calendar doesn’t lie, we are heading into the Holiday season fast and furious! With the hustle and bustle of the holidays comes stress and chaos. Say Yes to Less now and simplify your life so the holidays are less stressful. This will allow to enjoy more time with friends and family. …and isn’t that what the holiday season is really all about?
5 ideas to help you start decluttering BEFORE the holiday season takes over:
- Holiday Decorations. Throughout different stages of our life, our decorating needs change as does our taste in decor. Have you recently become an empty nester? Donate the kid-focused decorations to Goodwill and try a new color scheme. Your local Goodwill Store is also a great place to start your new holiday decor collection; or if you are crafty, look in the aisles of Goodwill for things you can paint or #repurpose or #upstyle and make your own. Just got married? Time to start building your holiday decor collection! Be sure to only keep what fits in your storage space.
- The Kitchen. Ask yourself how many things in your kitchen you really use. If you haven’t used the turkey platter in 20 years, donate it to Goodwill and free up room in your kitchen. Have a set of holiday dishes you love, but are missing a few pieces? Goodwill is a fantastic place to search for those random pieces to complete your collection.
- Kids Stuff. Now is the time to go through all the toys and games and pare down by donating gently-used toys to Goodwill. Why not brighten someone’s day when they find that treasure you’ve donated? Since I know many of you will have a ton of this kind of donation, here is a helpful tip: did you know you can also use a Goodwill Drive-Thru to get help with unloading?
- Closets. As you change your closets over for the new season, it is the perfect time to access those out-of-season things. Did you wear it over the summer? Is it showing signs of wear? Donate what you don’t love and what doesn’t get worn to Goodwill. And when you are filling your closet with your current season clothing, make a shopping list of the things that are missing. Maybe you don’t have a scarf or mittens to match your winter coat?. When you are at Goodwill donating, take a look to see if you find something perfect to add to your closet!
- Garage. Over the summer, we all drop things in the garage when we’re busy having fun during the warmer months. Now that the weather is changing, clean up that clutter! Bring in all the outdoor planters and pots, organize all of the storage areas in your garage and fill your car with those things you really don’t need cluttering up your garage…and donate them to Goodwill. In the Spring, you will be so happy you did this now!
Say Yes to Less and have a less stressful holiday season!